Thursday, December 7, 2006

Who wants to be a Magician Anymore?

Who wants to be a Magician Anymore?

I can honestly say that I witnessed magic this past Fathers Day weekend. I had the pleasure of attending a magicians reunion. Yes, you read that right, a reunion of magicians. Old high school classmates, football teams, college friends and yes, magicians, they all do it. They reunite and once again, it is magic.

The assembly of magicians in Butler County was no coincidence. Butler County resident, Bill Bearden, is no stranger to the world of magic. He spent many years in a self-owned promotion business which traveled throughout the southeast raising money for civic organizations. This business promoted everything from the horse and pony show to the likes of the talented magicians assembled in Butler County that weekend.

While on sabbatical for this reunion, a showmans work is never done. I, an amateur magician whose sole claim to magical fame includes making money disappear from my bank account, was in awe and appreciation of the off-duty show I received sitting around the kitchen table of my grandparents, Bill and Ann Bearden. From disappearing quarters who found their way into one of our ears to flashy card tricks that began with the classic catch phrase, Pick a card, any card, I sat in amazement of such a distinguished and underappreciated art form. As I sat, I pondered on the fact that since the age of probably around six, I cant remember hearing someone say, I want to be a magician when I grow up. My mental calculator began running figures in my head. Was there any way that I could quit my job in Atlanta and pack my bags and move out to Vegas and begin a fun filled career as a magicians assistant, after all, my parents did say I need to find a career path. After a little less than a split second, I decided that I would have to find a boss that could do a permanent disappearing act on my bills or myself, so needless to say, I nixed the idea completely, but nonetheless I pondered, why more kids did not want to grow up to be magicians?

The life of a magician is filled with none other than magic. As the magicians sat reminiscing, I found myself entranced in their stories. From rubbing noses with David Copperfield to even being the recipient of one of his childhood tricks, the stories of life on the road were nothing short of amazing. These magicians travel from coast to coast and around the world performing their routine, bunny in hat, to the delight of adults and children alike. What I found so magical about the whole experience is that just like those who practice law, snap photos, sell cars or write books, if you love your job, you are never really off work. These people live, breathe, eat and sleep magic and it was great to see them discuss their passion. These are people who take delight in their job. They get enjoyment and pleasure out of making others happy and they do it for a living. I can honestly say that it beats the cube monkeys of my generation who enter data daily for wages spent on Red Bull and Chappell Show DVDs. Much to my delight, they preformed tricks for me for the better part of hours and like magic, time passed so quickly that three hours later, I found myself still glued to my seat, eyes glazed over, in eager anticipation of the next trick. These guys are masters of the art, so skilled in the trade that instead of spending the time and energy or even inquiring on how to perform these magical tricks, I just sat back and enjoyed them.

Once my mother pried me away from the table and into the car, I couldnt help but feel a sinking sadness in my heart. After a hard week of life, for three hours, I escaped. I forgot about my troubles and was entertained. The magicians had performed their passions so well, the equivalent of being engrossed in a nail biting book or entranced in a cliff hanging action flick. It is almost impossible to describe. I challenge all to recall the last time you went to a magic showit has been a long time hasnt it? Well, I was reminded of the fact that in a world of shock and awe and the likes thereof, I was pleased to find that magic doesnt change. It is and always will be magic. The magic of magic is that it still entertains and delights you after all of these years, somewhat like the concept of riding a bike; you never forget.

All of this brings me back to my initial questionWho wants to be a magician anymore? Being in the generation of want-to-be Russell Simmons and Bill Gates and Puff Daddys (or is it P.Diddywho knows anymore!) it is sad to see such a tradition and art die with the last of my grandparents generation. Magicians are dying out like small town carnivals and clown birthday parties. Since the introduction of the internet, imagination for my generation is fleeting. When have you ever heard of a dot.comer willing to depend on his showmanship for anything? When have you heard the phrase THE AMAZING and have it followed by the name of someone under the age of fifty? I write with such a sense of urgency, a sense of passion to revive a dying art form. Generation whatever we are now has apparently forgotten the magic of our younger years and in the fight for survival with that generation, the baby boomers have done so as well.

I ask that you give some thought to magic, not the Harry Potter folklore that children today think of as magic, but real top hat with white bunny magic. I encourage you to support this dying art form, keep it alive. Go see the shows that come to the area. Lets not be telling tales of magicians to our grandchildren much like we describe dinosaurs or eight tracks. Help make the grandeur and showmanship of magic live in forever.

No comments: