Thursday, December 14, 2006

Happy Hanukah...an after thought...

The decorations in my office building have been up for about the past four weeks. As I walked out the front door yesterday, I noticed that in the past day, several Happy Hanukah plastic window stickers have been posted on the front door...interesting...It seems as though Happy Hanukah was an after thought...probably provoked by someone was was rightfully offended in that Christmas decorations were hung but there was no mention of Hanukah...I can't say that I blame them.

The thing is, I wonder if the fact that it was an afterthought is not equally offensive, I fear it would be for me...Although I believe that this holiday time is about an attitude, not decorations, I can't help but wonder if next week there will be another afterthought..Kwansa. Hmm?

I was reminded yesterday of what the holidays are like for children. As I was doing some cocktail dress shopping for myself, about three isles over, I heard a youthful voice belting to the top of her lungs, " JINGLE BEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLSSSSSSSSSSSS, JINGLE BEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLSSSSSSSSS, JINGLE ALL THE WAY." She sang verse after verse with the same inflection...it was so endearing, really. She was so filled with the holiday spirit, her mothers pleads fell on deaf ears. After she finished Jingle Bells, she moved along to "WE WISH YOU A MERRY CHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTMMMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSS!" and sang it as well, verse for verse. Many of the shoppers, finding it delightful and uplifting to hear the voice of the child over the hub bub around the store followed and sought out that little voice, just to see the source of this holiday cheer. She was tiny, maybe 25 pounds and three years old, but so determined to spread the message of the holiday season.

When we are children, we are not consumed by the political correctness of the holidays. The holidays are full of magic and excitement and learning about the true meaning of the Season, whichever meaning your family honors.

How do we get back to those days? I think that the way we return to those days is by having children of our own or partaking in the holiday of a child. Then we are truly reminded what the holidays are all about.

1 comment:

My life in bergen said...

I miss my childhood too, with no other then happy thoughts in my head.
For us, the adults i think it's too late.
You could try to think and behave like a child, "just happy thoughts" but i think we bout know what the society thinks about that.
What we could do? Just stop for a min and think and be happy for what we got and also send a thought to the ones who have nothing or less..

Mary Xmas